Indoor cycling is one of the newest fitness trends. Deciding on the best spin bike can be tricky so here are some recommendations and a guide to finding the right one for you.
Among the things to consider in deciding which spin bike to buy are comfort, construction, features, and price. Spin bikes are meant to be regularly used for it to be effective. Therefore, it is important to have a comfortable unit but still has advanced ergonomics.
Structural strength is extremely important even if it is compact. The construction materials are sturdy yet strong enough for frequent use. Even if they are meant for stationary biking, having a multi-function feature is a bonus and adds value to the unit. Some functions are added for health purposes and to make each session fun.
And last but not the least, the price. Cheaper ones tend to be made with poor quality and with fewer features. There are, however, affordable ones that fit into most budgets but still give the best value because of having on-point features.
There are about 800 spin bike models in the market. With this number, many are bound to make the mistake of choosing bad ones. Narrow choices down to the most deserving pieces by following this guide so you will be able to have one that makes you fit and make a sound investment at the same time.
Keiser M3 Plus Indoor Cycle
Finding the best spin bike in the market can be tough due to the wide variety of equipment available for sale. You may opt for the cheapest one, but it may only provide the basic features you need from an exercise bike. It’s not a bad move though except that it can be a problem when its parts wear out easily, and in the end, your costs for replacements will be much more than your actual purchase price of the bike. On the other hand, there are expensive ones packed with great features, but you’ll realize later on that their components cannot handle constant use, and worst, the bike isn’t sturdy enough to last a year. Thanks to the M3+ Indoor Cycle from Keiser, you can now enjoy a gym-grade spin bike in the comfort of your home. It’s packed with great features that are useful for both participants and trainers.
The design of the M3+ spin cycle is the materialization of over ten years of Keiser’s experience on manufacturing and research. The team behind this great exercise machine collaborated with the world’s biggest fitness clubs as well as professional trainers.
The M3 Plus has a minimalist design featuring stable foundation and high quality built. Each of its parts is manufactured to ensure minimal maintenance and replacement requirements for long-lasting durability. All you need to worry about is wiping dirt or sweat off your bike after a workout.
When fully assembled, the equipment has a length of 48.25 inches, a width of 25.75 inches and height of at least 50.75 inches from floor to the top of a computer display
Can handle riders as heavy as 300 pounds
Adjustable fore and aft handlebars
Highly adjustable gear resistance and combo pedals for highly flexible exercise settings
Adjustable seat for greater comfort during exercise
Convenient water bottle holder assisted by gravity
Built-in equipment wheels for easy transport
A backlit display featuring the M Series computer for real-time feedback and monitoring
FOR BUILDING LEG SPEED
Serious cyclists will be delighted to have the M3 Plus in their homes because it’s a superb bike for developing leg speed. The LCD can show statistics on the rider’s pedal rotations per minute (cadence) and the bike’s current resistance level, which are ideal when monitoring progress, especially for the competitive athletes.
FOR LOSING WEIGHT
Anybody weighing 300 pounds and below can use the M3 Plus to reduce body weight. The bike is highly adjustable to suit all types of riders and to mimic a wide range of cycling scenarios. With the unit’s wide-raging gear settings, magnetic resistance system and innovative computer tracking capabilities, you can make adjustments so that you’ll feel like biking on an uphill course or a downhill trip, among others. In short, you have the freedom to push yourself to the limits, sweat a lot and burn off calories without having to go outside. You can do your mountain-like cycling training in the safety and comfort of your home.
- The fore and aft handlebars can be adjusted up, down, forward and backward which makes it the best indoor bike for everyone, including riders with short arms.
- The innovative magnetic braking feature can create pedal resistance that feels like riding on a real bike on the road, which is useful in training for outdoor cycling without leaving home.
- The LLC has a sensor that turns on the backlit depending on the room’s ambient light levels.
- The equipped powerful M Series Computer allow participants and trainers to monitor the usual cycling statistics as well as the resistance level and cadence, which are both rare to have in many spin bikes.
- Has high-quality construction with components designed for minimal maintenance.
- Comes with transport wheels, which is essential as the bike is heavy at 140 pounds.
- A major complaint in many reviews is the price. It’s a great-value unit though considering the high quality features and the durability of the bike.
- The unit has to be assembled for the first time, which can be difficult for non-technical individuals. Consider seeking the assistance of someone with technical knowledge. Also, you need to have the right wrenches beforehand.
- Some people may find the seat too wide. The firm foam-padding and the adjustable positions should be able to provide comfort for the rider.
- With the price of this unit and the availability of the magnetic resistance system, the manufacturer could have added pre-programmed workout settings for its LCD display and M Series computer.
- Some reviews said they had their units delivered with defects or damaged parts. Make sure to inform your seller or Keiser right away for immediate action.
- Many would attest that the M3 Plus from Keiser is the best indoor cycle to have at home. The price may be a turn off, but if you consider the durability and quality of this bike’s construction, you will agree that it offers great value for the money.
Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
The Schwinn 270 Recumbent bike is loaded with great features and provides a smooth, quiet workout. Though bulky at 101 pounds, it’s multi- function qualities more than make up for it. It is packed with 29 advanced settings with a reliable health metrics for performance tracking. This bicycle has a dual backlit LCD console, a built in fan and a media tray. The padded, contoured seat is comfortable and supportive. Priced around $500, it is a great value.
INDEPTH PRODUCT REVIEW
The seat is padded and vented at the back to help keep you cool while working out. (Which I personally love, because even though I love to workout, I hate to sweat!) The contoured leg area provides extra comfort. The seat also has good lumbar support.
The frame is very stable and has an oversized crossbar tube. It weighs more than a hundred pounds, but moving it shouldn’t be a problem because it comes with transport wheels. The Schwinn 270 has a footprint size of 64″ X 27.7″ X 49.9″. The maximum user weight is 300 lbs.
There are 25 levels of resistance that allow exercisers to choose their own level of difficulty. Additionally, there are 10 resistance quick keys to easily change levels. This is especially useful with interval training.
The Schwinn 270 has 29 programs : 12 profile programs, 9 programs for heart rate control, 4 custom user programs, 2 fitness tests, 1 recovery test, and 1 quick start option.
The console has dual backlit LCD displays that integrates with Schwinn Connect to track your progress. There are also built in speakers for listening to your iPod or MP3 player while you exercise. A 3 speed fan helps cool you off as you workout. (Although it is rather weak). The pulse grip heart rate monitoring is another nice feature. To get a more accurate reading, you can purchase the optional heart rate monitor strap.
Products from Amazon.com
- Seat is comfortable
- Good lumbar support
- Feature rich console
- Multiple levels of resistance
- Quiet operation
- Fan is weak
- Heart rate monitor can be difficult to use
The Schwinn 270 Recumbent bike is a great value for the money. It has features such as the Schwinn Connect, multiple workout programs and levels of resistance. These are features that are usually only found on more expensive models. If you are searching for a recumbent bike, you can’t go wrong with this choice.
Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse
For those on a budget, the Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse is a wise choice. It has all the needed features, if folds small and neat, and is robust just like the expensive brands. Newbies prefer this because it only requires minimal assembly and is so easy to use.
INDEPTH PRODUCT REVIEW
The Exerpeutic Folding Bike is a great choice for people who are limited on space. It takes up 31 inches x 46 inches of floor space. It also is foldable so it can be stored easily when not in use. With a weight of 39 lbs and transport wheels, anyone can move this bike. There is a 300 lbs. weight limit for users.
The Exerpeutic bike is surprisingly comfortable with it’s oversized cushioned seat. fortable. The seat is adjustable and the pedals are also oversized. This means anyone can have a comfortable fit, regardless of their foot size. There are safety straps to prevent your foot from slipping. Another safety feature is the leg stablizers that keep the exercise from wobbling.
The Exerpeutic Folding Magentic Upright bike’s display console is easy to read at 3.3”Wx 1.5”H. The LCD display tracks distance, calories burned, time, speed, scan and heart rate monitor. Heart rate is measured by placing your hands on the handlebars.
The flywheel along with the 3 piece high torque cranking system and V-belt drive is able to deliver a smooth pedaling motion. It is fairly quiet when bieng used. Resistance is provided by a magnetic tension system controlled by a knob. There are 8 levels of resistance to keep you challenged.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $129.82Was: $144.93
Price: $126.87Was: $189.00
- Budget price at under $200
- Good for small spaces
- Large cushioned seat
- Seat may be too large for smaller people
- Not many extra features
- May not provide enough resistance for people in great shape